As soon as we get home, I notice a bright red, bumpy rash on the back of her neck and on her shoulders. Great. I hop online & find out that it might be a symptom of teething. I had heard of a rash on the front from constant drool, but never a rash on the back! Apparently, it's not very common, but it does happen.
And then the screaming began.
She screamed inconsolably for at least 5 hours straight. Tylenol, Orajel, and teething tablets did nothing for her. And I had never seen her drool as much as she did that day. The one thing that eventually helped was frozen fruit in a mesh teether. Once she began gnawing on that, she quieted down. And suddenly, we could see two little white lines in the gum on her lower jaw. It felt like a teeny little hangnail, or a eensy splinter in old, smooth wood.
And guess what? She's been her normal, happy-camper self since then.
Soon, we should have our own little monster biting down on our fingers.
Speaking of which, today, I called my friend's baby, Carol Ann, a little monster when she showed me her two bottom teeth, and she started crying. Coincidence?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday was my first Mother's Day! We had a great day, for the most part.
I am helping out before and after church each Sunday this month, which is great for learning names and meeting new people. But it's not exactly conducive to napping for Shannon. Both times this month, Shannon has been up at 6, and hasn't been able to nap until at least 10. Being up for 4 hours straight makes Shannon pretty cranky. Yesterday morning was no fun at all for any of us! She fell asleep on the way home, fortunately, which always craks me up. We had to buy a new carseat after the accident and decided on a convertable seat, rather than another infant seat that she will grow out of by next month. When she falls asleep, her head falls forward and to the side, and her cheeks squish down into her chest. I need to snap a picture.
Anywho, back to Mother's Day.
Shannon napped when we got home, and Mike made me eggs and Belgian waffles with amaretto-soaked strawberries. I like my berries like I like my martinis: full of alcohol! Shannon woke right as we finished, and we lounged around the house for a while, and I knitted. Somehow, we ended up watching the end of "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl." Mike said it was the only thing on....
Eventually, we made our way over to Balboa park and walked around for a bit. Rather than go out to eat, I asked Mike to BBQ some steaks so that we coul dhave dinner on the back porch with the chiminea lit as the sun set. He obliged me.
Mike let Shannon pick out my gift, and if that's the case, homegirl's got some damn good taste in jewelry! He got me a white gold tennis bracelet. I should snap a pic of that, too. Ah, pues!
In all, it was a nice, memorable first Mother's Day!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shannon is 8 months old today, and weighs 19 lbs and is 29 1/2 inches long!! holy cow!! She's still totally off the charts for height!
At Balboa Park
Enjoying my Mother's Day dinner at sunset.
My other baby.
Mommy doesn't have to do a thing!

No comments:
Post a Comment