Yesterday, Shannon had her 4-month check-up. She’s HUGE! As if we didn’t already know that…. As far as height goes, if there were such a thing as a 110th percentile, she’d be in it! She’s 26 inches long (totally off the chart, so they say 95th percentile), weighs 15 lb, 3 oz (75th percentile up from 50th. The Dr gave me an “A.”) , and her head is 14.5 cm around. The Dr was a weird one, making the usual jokes, but worded in odd ways. He spoke in monotone, but would act a little cooky at times. He told me not to listen to old wives tales (I don’t) regarding bowed legs and feeding solids. Aside from the Dr’s weirdness, Shannon’s healthy and not quite ready for solids yet, which is fine by me. He said that as soon as she can sit up on her own and her tongue-thrust reflex goes away, she can start on solids. I plan to wait until 6 months always, and if she’s not sitting up on her own & is still sticking her tongue out the way she is now, we’ll be making a special request to the Dr for some extra observation.
She also had to have her shots I felt so bad because we had been having so much fun, playing on the table and being silly. When the corpsman asked me to hole her arms so she “doesn’t act silly,” she looked like she was being crucified. She sucked down the Rotavirus solution easily, but once he stuck her with the first syringe, she jumped, looked shocked, then started the famous “silent scream.” The silent scream lasted at least 30 seconds; long enough for the corpsman to finish the other two shots. Then came the real scream. Poor thing!! She was inconsolable until we got to the car & I nursed her. As we were making her 6-month appointment, she screamed at the little girl who came to the bookshelf next to us to pick out a book. The girl promptly went back to her mother. Poor Shannon was PISSED!
The evening following the shots wasn’t terrible. Lots of sleeping (Got home around her bed-time anyways) and a little whimpering. I gave her some Tylenol before bed to help with the pain in her little thighs. Today, all hell broke loose! My friend Kim, who will be watching her when I go back to work next week, came by to get to know our routines, etc. Poor timing because Shannon just WOULD NOT sleep. It took over an hour of shushing, ocean waves, swaddling & re-swaddling, singing, and rocking to get her to sleep for her first nap, which lasted less than an hour. As soon as she was fed and given more Tylenol for her poor little legs, she was a happy camper. For about an hour & ½ when she needed another nap. Again, not willing to go to sleep. *sigh * And we had been having such good naptime schedules the past few days! But she’s down now and seems to be zonked.
As for me, I had an appointment with my Dr yesterday, also. I talked to him about possibly having hypothyroidism or Sheehan’s Syndrome. Sheehan’s Syndrome is when a massive blood loss occurs, especially during or after delivery, which causes the pregnancy-enlarged pituitary gland to collapse or at least causes damage to the little kidney-bean-shaped gland. Sheehan’s causes hypothyroidism and (more importantly to me) a low milk supply. I have an appointment for bloodwork tomorrow morning to check both my thyroid and to check for diabetes.
I have some new pictures and videos of Shannon. Her newest thing is to sniff through her nose rapidly. Apparently, I did the same thing as a baby. She is definitely my daughter.





No comments:
Post a Comment