The thought of giving up nursing makes me want to cry. But since Shannon's teeth came through, and she has a huge penchant for biting when the milk flow slows, I have subconsciously been avoiding nursing her at every meal. I realized this just the other day. Suddenly, I began to wait until I was full, then nurse her thoroughly. That has caused my supply to drop, and I think my body has become immune to the domperidone. I'm not willing to increase my dose because it seems to cause one of those nasty puss pockets I get on my tonsils, and it never goes away like they normally do after a few days. Gross.
I noticed last week that when I pumped while I was at work, I was only able to get about 3 ounces, when I should have gotten 6. Now, the only time I feel full is at night. If we can continue the night nursing, I'll be happy. She doesn't bite at night because she's too sleepy to realize the flow has slowed down. I think she bites more during the day because she is too distracted to concentrate on nursing.
I planned on weaning her soon, anyway, so I guess this is coming at the right time. If I get a job, I'm not going to want or be able to pump during the day like I would like to.
Obviously, the benefits of nursing have beenbestowed on us, since Shannon is just now getting her first real bout of illness. She has some sort of flu. Last night, she had a low-grade fever of 100.5, then threw up all over the two of us. This morning, the fever had risen to 101.5, so we're taking it easy today. At least she waited until the last day of school to get sick.
Mike rebuilt a laptop from a friend for me, so now I get to spend all sort of long hours on here while Shannon plays in the living room. I'm no lonfer confined to the office! Woohoo!!
We went to the beach with Colleen & Carol Ann the other day. i'll post pics asap. S is awake & fussing.
Easter/Girls Birthday Celebration
8 years ago

2 comments:
Kudos to you for nursing as long as possible! I know it hasn't been easy for you and I think it's awesome that you never gave up as frustrating as it must have been. It is sad you're going to have to wean before you're ready. Good luck. Hope S is feeling better today.
Thanks, Tara. It;s been a pain i the ass, but I have such strong feeling about nursing that I can;t let go. We;re down to twice a day: morning & middle of the night, sometimes int he afternoon, but usually I'll pump, and it's working for us, I think.
Post a Comment